Dual Timelines

Characters You See Yourself In

Hello, and welcome to this week's Top 5 Wednesday post. This is the second Top 5 Wednesday post of this month, and I honestly don't know where the first week of June has gone! Anyway, I am sure I am not the only person who has read a book and really felt like I have so much in common with the characters, or even go further and feel like that character is essentially a copy of me. I love it when I can relate to a character, but the sad thing is that the books always seem to end much too soon. This week's Top 5 Wednesday post is about characters we see ourselves in, characters we deeply relate with, whether with their personality, actions, and/or situations they have been through or anything else we may have closely in common with such characters.

1. A Kind of Spark by Ellie McNicoll

I start this week's list with a book I have not yet read but have seen the television adaptation on BBC Iplayer. Hopefully, I will read this book this month in the next week or two. For this book and only this book on this list, I am therefore relying on the TV adaptation, which is obviously not ideal as the book is always much better. But I relate to a number of characters in this book for many different reasons, including hobbies and particularly reading. This hobby of reading is quite obvious as otherwise, you wouldn't be here right now reading this post on this blog.

2. Desi Girl Speaking by A. S. Hussain

In this book, I really relate again with a number of characters. This includes Tweety, who is struggling throughout this book, and although I wouldn't say I have struggled as much as Tweety, I have heard upsetting things from other people, and I have had various exams, which are in themselves very stressful. I also relate to Priya, Tweety's best friend, in terms of listening to many of my friends and hearing about and supporting these people through traumatic experiences.

3. The Ink Black Heart by Robert Galbraith

This is one of my favourite series at the moment, and although I do not think it has anything to do with the characters, I feel like I can relate to Strike in a number of ways. It is not possible to detail every aspect which I feel I have in common with Strike, but I would say we are both goal-focused, determined individuals, and Strike has an amazingly close friendship with Robin; I have close friendships with my friends and to be honest, the more I am now thinking about it, the more it is obvious that I really do very much relate to Strike.

4. Right Guy, Wrong Time by Louise MacGregor

The thing I relate to in terms of the characters in this book is very similar to the point mentioned above. Put simply, it's being there when a friend needs someone to talk to about some very traumatic topics. I have been in some very similar situations to Edie's friends, albeit not in the immediate aftermath, and I very much wanted to be that friend to help Edie as well as I was reading this book. I also learnt so much from this book, which will help me in future encounters related to this book.

5. Phoenix by Ellie Simms

There have been times when I feel like I could relate to Briana in some ways. Luckily for me, we do not share the same experiences nor the same feelings and circumstances in their entirety, but there are such feelings which I, too, have experienced, as well as some circumstances which can be compared and seen as somewhat similar, albeit not even close to being the same.

Thank you for reading this week's post; I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! Please comment below on some of the characters you see yourself in! Please also feel free to look around this blog and have a read of some of my book reviews. You may even find your next read! I look forward to next week's post; see you then!

Top 5 Wednesday 9975 members
Welcome to the official group page of the T5W! This weekly book meme officiated in November 2013 and is still going strong! Join the group to become a T5W-er and check out the topics for the current month!

Books we've read



View this group on Goodreads »

Comments