Books You Wish Your Library Had

 Hello and welcome to this week's Top 5 Wednesday post, the final one for April 2024! I can't believe we are at the end of April already; where has the time gone? This week's prompt is about books I wish my library had. I'm going to base it on my university library, which, may I add, has over 2.3 million physical copies of books, both academic and pleasure. The idea is that one may have come across a new series or a new book but not want to buy it in the shops either just in case they don't like the book or because they may be low on money. This is both an easy and a hard post. Such books do exist that I wish I could get from a library, but I often like having my own copy of books as well. I will confess here that it was hard not to pick any more books for this week's post that were law-related, but I have managed to limit myself to two (and a half, it could be argued). But in no particular order, let's get into this week's post!

1. The Trial by Rob Rinder

The first book on this week's list is Rob Rinder's first book, The Trial, about a police officer who died in the Old Bailey, and all the evidence seems to point to one person. I originally requested to read this book on NetGalley, but my request was rejected. However, my request for his most recent book, which is going to be published later this year, was approved. In terms of this book, either the library has it and its never available or they don't have it at all. 

2. A Kind of Spark by Elle McNicoll

I been wanting to read this book since watching the first series of the same name on television. It is about 2 or 3 autistic girls, but on a deeper level, it is a book about accepting each others' differences, which I feel is very important in society as a whole, regardless of whether it is because of physical or mental disabilities. Since I started wanting to read this book, I have continuously looked in various bookshops (and I know they sell this book), but I have never found it. My library also does not stock this book, which is really annoying.

3. Prima Facie by Suzie Miller

This is the second and last law full proper law book on this list, which sounds really interesting and I would love to read it, but as you may have guessed, it is not available in my library! This fictional book is about a top criminal defence barrister who is raped by one of her colleagues and struggles to find the strength to bring the defendant to justice due to the barriers and opposition in the criminal justice system. The victim feels that she is the one being put on trial and feels like she is being portrayed as a liar. I suppose part of the reason why I want to read this book is because, although it is fiction, I have heard lot about how this is also reality. I have heard that even in real life, rape victim's testimony has been challenged, and they have been portrayed as liars and even been questioned about their sexual history. I am not entirely against this; it is essentially that in our criminal justice system, we scrutinise all evidence in microscopic detail to ensure a fair outcome. I, therefore, would not agree that victims' testimony should not be challenged even if they feel bad after it; the challenge of such testimony is essential, although, like many things, there is a line that should not be crossed.

4. The Green Mile by Stephen King

This is one of the books I have wanted to read for a while, having watched the movie several times, although not properly watched the movie. This is essentially a fictional book about life on death row and even includes a character with supernatural powers who has the power to heal people when they are ill or in pain. This has always seemed like a really interesting book for me, especially since I have been wanting to read a Stephen King book for a while. I am, however, reluctant to buy another Stephen King book too soon as the first book of his, which I read, was one of the worst books I have ever read. 

5. Low Power FM For Dummies by Sharon M. Scott

Finally, the final book I wish my library had is Low Power FM For Dummies or really any other book on launching and/or running a radio station. I have recently launched a student radio station, and as a keen reader, I have been looking for books on the subject. My library had no books that were even slightly relevant, and there seems to be a lack of books in this area in general, especially books specific to student radio stations. It is particularly strange that media or journalism students would surely be particularly interested in such books.

Thank you for reading this week's post; I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! Have you read any of the books above? If so, what did you think of them; let me know in the comments! Also, please do let me know what books you wish your library had or just say hello in the comments below. I look forward to writing the next Top 5 Wednesday post and seeing you all in May! In the meantime, please feel free to explore this blog and read some of the other Top 5 Wednesday posts as well as some of the book reviews that are available!


Top 5 Wednesday 9975 members
Welcome to the official group page of the T5W! This weekly book meme officiated in November 2013 and is still going strong! Join the group to become a T5W-er and check out the topics for the current month!

Books we've read



View this group on Goodreads »

Comments