The Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie

 The Witness For The Prosecution by Agatha Christie is an incredibly gripping thriller regarding the murder of a wealthy old lady. Leonard Vole saves the lady in question in a potentially serious road traffic incident as she is crossing the street, and when he meets the lady again at a friend's party, she befriends Mr Vole! When the old lady is mysteriously murdered, Mr Vole finds himself facing a murder trial with the risk of being hung. Through the mysterious behaviours of his Mistress and the other characters in this book, the reader is left wondering who killed the old lady?

This was a really good short story that got better and better the more I read. It is clear how Christie is described as the Master of crime; this book had me, as the reader, on the edge of my seat, unable to put down the book. Christie successfully implements every twist and turn possible in a way which helps the story progress and blend in naturally.

The only thing I can say about this book in terms of criticism is it's a shame the book wasn't any longer! If this book was longer, it could go into even more detail and use even more twists and turns. However, due to this being a short book, it did help increase the pace of the story's progression, which again assisted in creating an impression of excitement and uncertainty within the reader.

Therefore, I rate this book 3 stars as it is a good book, incredibly gripping, and an excellently written thriller. I read this book before going to watch the play in a few weeks' time and so I can say its definitely worth the read and has now built up my excitement. I would recommend this book, especially for young adults and those who love murder mystery, some crime and some thriller!

Comments