Covers with Flowers

Books We Dropped Only to Come Back and Love It The Second Time

Hello, and welcome to another Top 5 Wednesday post and the beginning of a new month. We can hope that this month, spring will finally be greeting us with warmer weather and less rain, but ultimately, only time will tell. So this week's prompt is about books you thought you would love but then decided to drop it because you weren't interested or couldn't get into the book before coming back to give it a second go after hearing something about it. I may also slightly adjust this post by stretching it to books I started reading, lost the motivation to read, and then continued reading from where I left it. But then, that's not really any different to this prompt, is it? Anyway, that's enough of an introduction from me. Let's get straight into this week's post!

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

So, I start with Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. At first, I wouldn't say I found this a particularly dry text, but the language was difficult to understand, which made it harder to comprehend what was going on, so basically, I just didn't understand or pick up the story. I then had the motivation to push through the book to the end after having a period of limited reading, with the help of the study guides from Course Hero, and I started loving the text and learned so much. This is definitely, for that reason, the perfect book for this week's prompt. I have actually been considering reading this book for a second time. I also learned, more generally, that literature books can usually be harder to read and understand, but they are much more rewarding once you have read them, so I think this has been one of the books which has really deepened my love of literature. 

2. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri

We now go to the book which took me on a journey from Hell to purgatory and then to heaven during the first main Coronavirus pandemic lockdown in England in 2020. I'm not going to lie. I loved the lockdown for so many reasons, including the opportunity it gave me to read so many amazing books. The Divine Comedy I read was an English translation of an Italian/Latin text that was also originally written in an ancient language. Therefore, this book goes pretty much like To Kill A Mockingbird, which is hard to understand. Come across Course Hero, read, and learn so much before appreciating the text and finding it incredibly interesting. This was definitely a good read, and it would be amazing to see and read a modern-day version of the divine comedy completely rewritten for the modern-day audience.

3. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Again, this book goes pretty much like the previous two in terms of language and understanding, although this one is arguably even more difficult due to the made-up language of Nadsat, which is used throughout. However, another reason I started this book and came back to it at a later date (not much later, I should say) was purely due to time constraints, which made it harder to read. This, therefore, became a Christmas read! This book is one of my personal favourites, although I may be biased as I love the social sciences and the law, and these feature heavily throughout this book. Yes, it began as a hard read, but I will definitely read it again!

4. Unexplained Deaths by Bruce Goldfarb

This was a dry book and remained a dry book. I started reading, got bored, and so put it aside. I then continued to read it with a renewed sense of motivation, and although it was still somewhat dry, I started finding it more interesting. This book is essentially about the mother of forensic science in America, who trained the police in forensic investigations using doll houses. Interesting, but there was lots of history throughout the book, well it was a history book, and some of the history covered may be argued to be irrelevant. Inevitably interesting for anyone interested in the history and developments of the field of forensic science, also known as Legal Medicine in the early days, as explained in this book.

5. From A Buick 8 by Stephen King

This book is an exception on this list in terms of the other books being ranked based on when I read them, for instance reading the first book first and then later I read the second book and so on. This is in final place as this book is simply, in my opinion, the worst book on this list. I started reading it and got bored, so I stopped reading it, but as someone who likes finishing books, I pushed my way through it; it may have got very slightly better, but it was an incredibly boring book with very little if any quality horror anywhere in the story. This book is, therefore, also an exception to this week's prompt as I dropped it and picked it up again, but I never ended up loving it or even liking it in the smallest sense! 

That's all for this week's Top 5 Wednesday post, so I hope you enjoyed reading it! I most certainly did enjoy reading it this Holy Saturday whilst the sun is shining and listening to the second day of the 2024 Classic FM Hall of Fame! I don't think it gets much better than this. As always, please comment your thoughts and opinions below, as I love hearing from you and responding to you. Please look around the blog for book reviews for books you may be interested in, and check out some of my previous Top 5 Wednesday posts of you that are new. Ultimately, I look forward to next week's post!

Top 5 Wednesday 9975 members
Welcome to the official group page of the T5W! This weekly book meme officiated in November 2013 and is still going strong! Join the group to become a T5W-er and check out the topics for the current month!

Books we've read



View this group on Goodreads »

Comments