Time Travel

Incorrect Ratings

 Hello everyone and welcome to this week's Top 5 Wednesday blog post. This weeks prompt is to do with book ratings. This week's post is about whether you have rated a book high and then learned it has a low rating or vice versa you rated the book low and then learned it has a high rating. This week's post, therefore, wants me to look at my ratings for the books I have read and the GoodReads average ratings to see if our ratings line up and if we think the book in question deserves a higher or lower star rating. Let's get straight to this week's Top 5 Wednesday post with the Top 5 Books I feel have been rated incorrectly by other readers.

1. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The first book on this list is The Curious Incident which is a great book. To cut long story short, a dog is killed and a boy with Special Educational Needs does an investigation into who murdered this poor dog. I really enjoyed this book and even got the privilege to watch the play in London in 2019 which was great fun. I rated this book 4 stars because I really enjoyed it whilst the GoodReads average rating is only 3.89 stars. Obviously, by looking at this my rating was a bit higher than that of the average. I have many opinions of why this might be with one of them being that this book is studied at GCSE English Literature and many teenagers do not like reading and so they rate the book low. I do however think this book deserves a higher rating. This is because it is a very good book.

2. An Inspector Calls

The next book is An Inspector Calls which is another book that is studied at GCSE English Literature and one of my favourite GCSE texts. This play looks at the Birling family and is about how the United Kingdom after the World Wars needed change. This is a social-historical context-rich play that just adds to the excitement and makes it a great play to study. I have rated this book 5 Stars which shows clearly that I really enjoyed reading this and the GoodReads average rating is 3.82 Stars. I once again believe that the ratings for this play should be higher because it is a valuable British text which deserves to be studied as in my opinion it makes the teenagers who study the text understand politics more and helps them transition from Children to Young Adults.

3. Hyde

This book is a great Psychological horror which has only recently been published back in February and I had a great time reading this book. This book acts like a prequel which offers Motivation for Hyde's friend Robert Louis Stevenson. In this book, Hyde is a Police Inspector investigating a number of murders which at a few points in the book look like it was Hyde himself who murdered these people. This would be very believable also if you have read Robert Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Anyway, I rated this fabulous book 5 stars whereas the GoodReads average rating is only 3.85 stars. I again believe this book should have a higher average rating than this because it is a great book if you did love Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. 

4. Phoenix

Next, I have the book Phoenix which I reviewed earlier this year and I famously have a love-hate relationship with this book. Phoenix is about this young girl who begun her adult life in a new country before she got abducted. Let's cut to the chase. I rated this book 3 stars because although I both loved it and hated it, I must give credit for the creativity and the story plot which I did enjoy. The GoodReads average rating is only 2.60 stars which I think is unfair because although some parts of the book were not nice it was a creative book with a good plot and was packed with tension and cliffhangers. I, therefore, believe this book deserves a higher rating. 

5. From a Buick 8

This book is the first, and at the time of writing the only book, I have read written by Stephen King often known as the King of Horror. This book was about this haunted weird car that may have come from this alien universe. I rated this book only 1 star as the plot was very drawn out, very repetitive and very boring with not much horror or much else for that matter. The GoodReads average rating for this book is 3.46 stars which are incredibly generous and I think inaccurate. I strongly believe that this book is worthy of a much lower rating as it was a really poor book.

Anyway, that is all for this week's Top 5 Wednesday blog post and I hope you enjoyed it. Please do share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below as I would love to hear from you. Please also feel free to share the link to this post with your friends and connections to help this post and this blog get seen and bring in new visitors to my blog. I look forward to next week's Top 5 Wednesday Blog Post.

Top 5 Wednesday
Top 5 Wednesday 10141 members
Welcome to the official group page of the T5W! This weekly book meme officiated in November 2013 and is still going strong! Join the group to become a T5W-er and check out the topics for the current month!

Books we've read



View this group on Goodreads »

Comments