Time Travel

The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz by Ellie Midwood

 This is a lovely love story written by Ellie Midwood about Edek and Malla and all of their friends who were, like many jews, poles and many others were imprisoned in the hellish Auschwitz. The story takes us on a journey looking at Edek's and Mally's relationship and their escape, capture and deaths. We also learn so much about the camp and the people who were there including the SS guards and the inmates. 

I decided to read this book as I am deeply interested in Auschwitz and the horrors that lay in this hell. I enjoyed the Tattooist of Auschwitz so much that I just had to read this book and it really was not a disappointment. There were times when I was laughing, times when I was crying and even times when I was scared for the inmates and in particular Malla and Edek. What's more, this book is all based on facts with some fiction in it to just help advance the tale. This is good because I think something as horrific as Auschwitz should not divert away from the facts and make it seem like something it was not. This book both entertains and educates people in a great way.

I liked this book as it told the tale of Edek, Malla and all of their friends in a way that did not twist the truth too much and showed the reader the horrors of the camp. I also liked it how the writer based all of the story on facts to ensure none of it was factually incorrect. The writer also successfully played with the reader's emotions, especially in the Epilogue as Midwood made us laugh, cry and scared throughout this great book.

There is not anything that immediately comes to mind which I did not like in this book which is great. I did thoroughly enjoy reading this book. However, I am indecisive on whether the prologue made or broke the book. This is because although it interested the reader and made them want to read on, it also ruined the moment later in the book just before Malla and Edek got caught. This, in my opinion, was because the reader is aware that the couple comes across the uniformed officers and so takes away some of the emotions the reader is feeling and makes it harder for the reader to step in the shoes of the couple and be glad of their escape.

I rate this book 4 stars making it an outstanding book and I was pleased to also see at the back of this book a list of other books related to the subjects and characters in this book which I now want to read, including the book written by Wieslaw; Edek's best friend. I would definitely recommend this book to many people but in particular, those who also have an interest in the holocaust and the horrific behaviour of most of the Nazis. (Note I use the superlative adjective "Most" because not all Nazis were wicked like the SS, for example, Oskar Schindler who saved many jews).  I really enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading more related and similar books.

Comments