Time Travel

From a Buick 8 By Stephen King

 From a Buick 8 By Stephen King is the first Stephen King novel I have ever read, and I have always wanted and still want to read many of his books. This book was one I picked up kind of accidentally but this accident has resulted in me reading a Stephen King book much sooner than originally expected. The book is about this mysterious Buick which one day is abandoned at a gas station and then taken back to the Troop D Barracks where it spends the rest of its days in Shed B. However, this is not the end. The Troopers experience all sorts of out of the ordinary behaviour with the car including disappearances, strange creatures and light shows to name a few. The Buick is like a portal to an alien world, it takes people from the ordinary world to somewhere else and it brings out many weird and wonderful creatures.

I liked the structure of this book how it was set out in the first person and how each chapter was a different character's story from different Time's, Then or Now. This is a very unique structure of a book which I have not really seen much of in my reading career. The story itself was also quite interesting. I also loved the message at the end of the book from Stephen King which described how the story was partly based on a real event which he went through, which in a way I wish he added at the start of the book as this was a really interesting fact which would have helped me read the book. It has taken me 5 months to read this book after all, at the time of writing!

There are a few things I dislike. This book nearly put me off Stephen King as I found the majority of the book very dull and boring. I was relieved to see on the internet that I am not the only one who thinks this is probably one of his worse books and I think I will definitely still read his other books which should hopefully be a bit better. It was honestly not what I was expecting from the King of Horror and the "great teller of tales" which I have heard about him. For one, the story is really dragged out which is annoying meaning lots of it is not very interesting with only a few interesting parts. Some of the long chapters really did not help either to be honest. Furthermore, because Stephen King is known as the King of Horror, I was expecting more horror and more scares but sadly I have been disappointed.

Obviously, this is only my opinion and there are people who do indeed love this book but I was not one of those people sadly. I will however still read more of Stephen King's books as I have previously mentioned in this review. 

Altogether, it is with regret that I have to rate this book 1 star because it failed to interest me as the reader and maintain any interest. Yes, it did catch my interest a few times but there were long moments in between where the book lost my interest. It would have been nice to see more horror in this book, shorter chapters and just make it more gripping in general to keep the reader interested.

Comments