Time Travel

The Conspiracy 2 by Laurence O'Bryan

 The Conspiracy 2 is the second book in a series about the current Coronavirus pandemic. It is about a doctor who at first believes his wife his dead but later finds out that the Russians have her in captivity to make the doctor work with them. Away from this plot, the doctor from England also works with an American vaccine company to try and get their vaccine available to as many people as possible. As well as the two plots about the doctor, there is also the Russian plot to the story and the Chinese plot. As you can probably tell, this is a very busy book with many plots which the author all brings together fabulously.

I will start by saying that if you possibly can, read the first book before this book. This is the first book in the series I have read and I missed reading the first book and it is clear the first book will give you a lot more information meaning you are not stuck in the middle of a series trying to figure out what is what. The author has combated this problem to try and make it accessible to as many people as possible. This is the first book I have read about the current Coronavirus pandemic and is definitely a book which will be studied in the future for its social-historical context.

I like a few things about this book. Firstly, I like how the author has been able to write a book based on all we have been living through over the past year. He has been able to write about something we are all familiar with like face masks and social distancing but he adds a twist to it. Then going on from this, the plot was good with many twists and turns which combined a variety of countries. Furthermore, I also loved the short chapters as it really helps quicken the pace for tension and I do really like shorter chapters most of the time.

Although there are not many negatives, there are a few. I found at times I was lacking the motivation to read this book before all the action started at the end of the book. It would have been nice if there were more plot twists and that the writer included some cliff hangers and was able to grip the reader a lot more. Being able to grip a reader is an essential skill for authors and although he mastered it towards the end we need to see more throughout the book.

Altogether, this was a good book and I would read the other books in the series excluding the first. I look forward to reading future instalments and seeing how the plot advances, particularly for the doctor who found himself in a difficult situation at the end of the book. As I said, it was good reading about what we are going through with some twists and conspiracies which added to the excitement. Altogether, I rate this book 3 stars making it a good book.

Comments